1. What age boys do you circumcise?
I offer the service for boys aged from 7 days to 4 years.
2. Why home circumcisions?
My experience over nearly a decade of circumcising boys has shown me that parents seem to do very well in their own trusted environment ie. your home.
- There is no extra stress from having to arrange childcare for other siblings or dragging them along to a clinic.
- No stressful drive to and from a clinic afterwards.
- No problems having to find parking.
- No worries about taking a young baby out in bad weather.
- Mums can privately breast feed, use their bathroom freely or get a formula feed ready.
- No concerns about other crying babies frightening your partner or child about to be circumcised.
- No worries about a clinic closing and then possibly being left on your own. You now have to try to get the doctor to visit you or seek help from another doctor (possibly inexperienced in circumcision surgery).
- With a home visit I will always return for a review if our parents are concerned at no extra charge.
3. Which method do you use for circumcisions?
For boys under 4 years of age I use the Plastibell (ring) method as there are many well recognised advantages:
- No sutures (stitches) required.
- No awkward bandages to be removed afterwards.
- Rapid wound healing time.
- Minimal discomfort after the procedure.
- A neat clean wound.
- Nappy worn as per normal after the procedure.
4. Is it safe to circumcise at home?
Yes. Before the circumcision, I always go through my information pack explaining comprehensively the procedure, aftercare and potential complications (bleeding and infection). Only single-use sterile disposable surgical instruments are used. I use a set of guidelines to ensure safe management for all our boys which involves a follow up contact 2 hours post surgery.
5. What does your charge for the circumcision include?
The charge is based upon where I am visiting for the circumcision. It covers the pre-op consultation, the circumcision surgery and any required follow ups. Parents can call anytime they wish to discuss any concerns they may have.
Dr Malik recently featured in a video regarding Circumcision on the NHS on Channel 4. If you would like to watch this video, please click here.
rated 5 / 5 based on 7